Small & Medium Entrepreneurial Resource Centre is introducing apiculture as a sustainable enterprise in livestock subsector. Our bee keeping package is an agribusiness option for farmers interested in honey production. We enter into a contract to buy back the honey from you
Benefits of beekeeping:
- Requires little land (50 colonies require a ¼ acre ) which does not have to be fertile
- Beekeeping or bee farming is cheap and relatively not competitive to other Agric enterprises i.e. does not compete for resources
- Labor required is low.
- Many products can be obtained which are great source of income i.e. honey, beeswax, pollen, propolis, bee venom, royal jelly, bee colonies, bee brood, queen bees.
- Encourages environmental conservation.
- Bees are good pollinators of plants, trees, fruits and crops, thus playing a big role in bio-diversity and improvement of crop yields.
- 1 CAB hives — Kshs. 12,200.
- Wax sheet — Kshs. 2,000.
- 1 bee suits — Kshs. 5,500.
- 1 pairs of gloves — Kshs. 650.
- 1 smoker — Kshs. 6,000.
- 1 hive tool — Kshs. 600.
- 1 stainless steel extractor — Kshs. 65,000.
- 1 bee brush — Kshs. 500.
- 1 uncapping fork — Kshs. 800.
- Pair of strainers for sieving extracted honey — Kshs. 6,500.
- Bee keeping training — Kshs. 10,000.
- Market linkages (Honey) — Kshs. 350 per kg.
- Insurance cover for the hives — 5 % or a minimum of 7,000.
1st harvest is after 5 months thereafter 6 harvest per year.
1 hive has 10 frames with approx. 1 kg per frame.
Buy Back Kshs. 350 per Kg.